So Holy Week this year begins with Palm Sunday coinciding with the great Solemnity of the Annunciation -the Feast of the Incarnation. Despite the fact that liturgically we won’t celebrate the Marian feast, we know all too well that the Mother of God, the humble Virgin rejoices in heaven to know her children give all their attention to her son on this day. And yet when we contemplate the ‘fiat’ of Mary to conceive in her womb the only Son of God at the word of the Archangel, it reminds us all too well of the ‘fiat’ the ‘nevertheless, not my will but your’s be done’ which Christ uttered in prayer to His Father in Gethsemane as He took upon Himself the sins of the world. Both Jesus and Mary are always complete servants to life, guardians and stewards of ALL life, especially human. They embody the fullness of supernatural fecundity in the face of wave upon wave of the sterility of sin and selfishness.
This year, as we enter Holy Week once more I am mindful of the journey the Church makes to the 50th anniversary of the encyclical “On Human Life” (Humanae Vitae) promulgated by Blessed Pope Paul VI in July of 1968. Those of us in the Church and beyond who care about the prophetic message of this most crucial of magisterial documents will need to collaborate more and more in prayer, action and solidarity to uphold its truths and beauty to a world craving, thirsting for a new liberating message of truth in love. In that spirit of collaborative discipleship I am honoured to have a guest blogger this week – Vicki Thorn, Founder of Project Rachel post abortion ministry in the US and Corresponding Member of the Pontifical Academy for Life.
Humanae Vitae 50 Years Later – let the science speak.
As we approach the anniversary there is much discussion about whether it should be modified and modernized. It’s time to realize that it is a prophetic document in light of contemporary science!
- The first significant issue is that women who are using hormonal contraception when they are looking for a spouse, will choose the wrong partner based on scent cues (pheromones—scent molecules of affiliation). They are initially attracted to a male whose immune system is too much like theirs. Because they are not ovulating, their body thinks it’s pregnant and is attracted to a man whose immune system is too much like their own. This can create infertility issues and when she goes off the contraceptives to try and conceive, by scent, because her partner will be adverse to her. This can destroy intimacy and the marriage.
- Extended use can lead to brain changes, causing women to have significant shifts in brain activity and in adolescents, this can affect the development of the pre-frontal cortex.
- In an abstract entitled “Do the emotional side-effects of hormonal contraceptives come from pharmacologic or psychological mechanisms?” a number of emotional side effects are listed . “Hormonal contraceptive users, in contrast with non users, were found to have higher rates of depression, anxiety, fatigue, neurotic symptoms, sexual disturbances, compulsion, anger, and negative menstrual effects.” The abstract concludes “Furthermore, it is reasonable to hypothesize, given the present data, that contraceptive activity itself is inherently damaging to women.” This is a stunning conclusion! Might it be that when we deviate from God’s plan that there is intuitive outcome.
- There is much concern about the environment in many quarters. The possible effects of the residue of hormonal contraceptives that pass into water systems around the world is serious but often dismissed by the secular media. Fish, birds and people are impacted by this. Waste management people say they don’t know how to remove the residue from water.
- Other health issues arise. Ovarian shrinkage and old ovum have been recorded. Many other health risks have been discovered but are often dismissed by saying “The risk isn’t that high”. Unfortunately, if like a friend of my daughter,who was on the pill for medical reasons when she developed blood clots throughout her body that lead to her death, it is 100%.